This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #APassionForHair #CollectiveBias
Tips and tricks to help you get and maintain gorgeous hair color. So simple ANYONE can do!
You know we love beautiful hair around here and are always looking for ways to style and care for it so when I had the opportunity to work with Schwarzkopf Hair Color I jumped at the chance because I knew it was time to switch up my hair color and give some new life into my locks. I wanted to share my hard learned tips on getting the perfect hair color at-home and how to maintain gorgeous shiny hair.
Avoiding At-Home Issues:
Unevenly Dyed Hair
If you recall, December 2015 I decided to take my hair color into my own hands and ended up with a big striped mess. It was a total mottled mess. Have you ever been in this situation? It has taken a year and some harsh lifting of my hair color to get it into a place that I can finally start coloring it again. So to avoid this follow these steps:
- Before you color your hair again, you should wash your hair using a peeling shampoo. Do this 24-48 hours before you color your hair. Then don’t wash until you color. Doing this allows the natural oils in your hair to develop which in turn allows the dye to bind to your hair more easily. The dye will blend more naturally with your hair, and that tends to make it last longer.
- The ends of longer hair tend to be more porous and therefore take up higher concentrations of pigments. You should therefore apply hair color first to the new hair growth and only for the last few minutes to the hair ends. It also helps to treat the hair ends of long hair to regular intensive cures. These cures are essential to assure even coloring results.
- When going to a more intense permanent coloring application you should apply hair color to new hair growth first. Then bring the color down your length of hair. I only put the hair color on my ends (that had been through a lot of processing) for the last 5 minutes.
- Schwarzkopf has several tips on their site including how to test for allergies before coloring your hair.
How-To Maintain That Shine
Think of a piece of yarn in your hand. Tug it, rub it between your fingers, brush it with a comb. It frays. Much like the piece of yarn, every time your hair experiences friction it gets a little more frayed. Thankfully there are ways to fight the friction- and get your smooth back.
- The Technical Stuff– Each strand’s outer layer, or cuticle, is made up of scales on the surface of the hair and a lipid protection barrier (lipid=fatty molecules) that keeps the scales soft and flat. When friction damages that natural shield, it causes the scales to flex upward and can even pull them off, leaving holes in the cuticle. This exposes the cortex- the inner structure of the hair- which is comprised of bundles of a tough protein called keratin (they look like cables with hundreds of wires wound around them). And when you tug it to comb or throw it up in a ponytail, your hair breaks.
- Wet Hair– Hair stretches up to 30 percent when it’s wet, making it more susceptible to breakage. Rather than aggressively rubbing it with a towel to dry it, wrap the towel around your head and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Tools Matter– The detangling tool you reach for is also key. Using the wrong one is like cutting a tomato with a dull knife. It’s ineffective and destructive. Opt for a wide-tooth comb or a brush made for wet hair, which has super flexible bristles.
The Schwarzkopf Hair Color Ultime you purchase at Walmart will include easy to follow step-by-step instructions but I wanted to highlight just how easy it is to get vibrant, long lasting color that shines.
Protect your home and yourself from dye stains. While you want to stain your hair, you do not want to stain your house or your clothes. Cover any surface around you that might get dye on it and put newspapers on the floor. Have paper towels nearby to deal with spills. Wear an old shirt you do not like, preferably one you are ready to throw away. It is very easy to get dye on whatever shirt you are wearing. I strongly recommend getting a color cape.
Brush your hair well. Make sure that there are no tangles left in your hair. This step will make applying the dye easier, but it will also help you to make sure that your hair will be evenly dyed.
Coat your hairline, ears and neck before applying dye to your hair. You can use Vaseline, lip balm or the conditioner included in the kit. This step is optional, but applying this coating will make it easier to rinse off any dye that gets on your skin.
Use a comb to separate your hair into four different sections. Use large salon clips (that you can pick up at Walmart) to hold the sections apart. Separating your hair into these sections will ensure that you don’t miss a patch of hair and make it easier to work with.
Apply the dye to your hair in sections. Break each section of hair up into smaller 1/4″-1/2” subsections as you work (this will just make your dye job more even.) Use the applicator bottle or brush to dispense the dye onto your hair. Use your gloved fingers to work the dye into your hair. Whether to begin applying the dye will depend on whether or not you have ever dyed your hair before.
Wrap your ends in foil. I used regular aluminum foil I bought at Walmart to keep my ends free of dye and to avoid some accidental spills.
Set a timer for how long you need to leave the dye in your hair. Follow the instructions on the box. Do not rinse the dye out before the minimum time or leave the dye in past the maximum time. Make sure to follow the directions exactly. As I mentioned earlier I did not do my ends until the last 5-10 minutes. I gradually worked the color down the length of my hair over the processing time.
Schwarzkopf Color Ultime Deep Brunettes Hair Coloring Kit, 3.8 Velvet Brown
Combine Color Creme with Developer in Applicator Bottle
Shake It Up and Remove Tip of Applicator Bottle
Apply as directed above
Rinse and condition
Style as usual!
You can pick your Schwarzkopf Hair Color and any other supplies needed at Walmart in the hair care aisle!
Look for the big Schwarzkopf signs! You can’t miss them.
I am really loving the way my hair color turned out. Thank you! Thank you to Schwarzkopf Hair Color for making such an easy to use product that worked just the way you said it would! The velvet brown has maintained it’s vibrant color and given me a much needed boost of shine! The color is EXACTLY what I was looking for and I am happy to say I have found my “true match” for the next several months! I am beyond excited to be able to update my look so easily!
Have you ever colored at-home? Do you have any tips of your own for at-home color? I’d love to hear!
XO- M & D